Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
What the addition of sour cream does to these chocolate cake-mix cupcakes and the matching frosting is amazingly delicious.
Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes:
1 (18.5-ounce) package plain devil's food cake mix
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water or cooled coffee
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting:
1/4 cup butter
3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons hot water or coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line cupcake pans with 18 to 20 paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, cocoa powder, sour cream, oil, water or coffee, eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pans, filling each cupcake liner three-quarters full.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes and cool completely on wire racks.
- Frost the tops of cooled cupcakes with the Sour Cream Frosting.
- For Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting: Melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until mixture has melted. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir in the sour cream.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the powdered sugar and water or coffee and vanilla and beat until mixture is smooth, adding more powdered sugar or hot water/coffee if needed to obtain a spreading consistency. Frost the tops of cupcakes.
Makes 18 to 20 cupcakes.