Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Cake
A splendid presentation, this cake has a chocolate cookie crust filled with chocolate mousse and fresh strawberries.
1 cup (about 5-ounces) chocolate cookie or chocolate graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
2 pint baskets California strawberries, stemmed and halved
2 cups (12-ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup water 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 1/2 cups whipping cream - divided use
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- In bowl, mix crumbs and butter to blend thoroughly. Press evenly onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Stand strawberry halves, touching, side-by-side, pointed ends up with cuts sides against side of pan, set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in blender container.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, mix water and corn syrup; bring to boil and simmer 1 minute. Immediately pour over chocolate chips and blend until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in large mixer bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups of the cream to form stiff peaks. With rubber spatula, fold cooled chocolate into whipped cream to blend thoroughly. Pour into prepared pan; level top. (Points of strawberries might extend above chocolate mixture.) Cover and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
- Up to 2 hours before serving, in medium mixer bowl, beat remaining 1 cup cream to form soft peaks. Add sugar; beat to form stiff peaks.
- Remove side of pan; place cake on serving plate. Pipe or dollop whipped cream onto top of cake. Arrange remaining halved strawberries on whipped cream.
- To serve, cut into wedges with thin knife, wiping blade between cuts.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 406 calories; 30 g fat; 76 mg cholesterol; 153 mg sodium; 36 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 5 g protein.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved.