Vermont Spice Cake
Winter in Vermont means snowbound days good for baking. But you don't have to live in Vermont to enjoy this spicy, maple-flavored cake crowned with an icy cream cheese frosting sprinkled with chopped nuts.
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
11 ounces cream cheese (an 8-ounce plus a 3-ounce package), softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons maple flavoring*
1/2 cup chopped nuts and nut halves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch-round cake pans.
- For Cake: Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in small bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs; beat for 2 minutes. Beat in pumpkin, evaporated milk, water and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For Maple Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Add maple flavoring; mix well.
- To Assemble: Cut each cake in half horizontally with long, serrated knife. Frost between layers and on top of cake, leaving sides unfrosted. Garnish with nuts, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Tip: To make a 2-layer cake, frost between layers, over top and on sides of cake.
*3 teaspoons maple flavoring are suggested for a stronger maple flavor.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.