Bittersweet Chocolate Truffles with Parmesan
Elegantly gourmet—bittersweet chocolate truffles laced with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
15 ounces bittersweet chocolate - divided use
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup Wisconsin freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Chop chocolate into small pieces. Place 9 ounces of chocolate in a large bowl. Set remainder aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream, butter and Parmesan just until small bubbles start to form on rim. Pour over the 9 ounces of the chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts. Cover tightly and refrigerate until firm.
- Working quickly, roll chilled chocolate mixture with your hands into 1-inch balls and place on parchment or waxed paper.
- Bring 1 to 2-inches of water to a simmer in a saucepan. Place remaining chocolate in a heat-proof bowl (metal) over water. Stir, until chocolate melts. Remove bowl from pan.
- Roll truffles in melted chocolate, smoothly covering surface and place on parchment or waxed paper.
- Chill at least one hour—or up to a week. Bring to room temperature just before serving. Refrigerate any remaining truffles.
Makes 24 truffles.
Variations: Roll the truffle balls in 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or finely ground pecans in place of or in additional to the chocolate coating.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.