Cherry Mountain Candy Squares with Variations
Tastes like the old-time candy bar with a similar name. This candy makes an attractive addition to a platter of holiday fudges and confections.
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 (10-ounce) package cherry flavored chips*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (11.5-ounce) package milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup (6 ounces) peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
1 1/4 cups salted, dry-roasted peanuts, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
- Line a 13x9x2-inch pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease with butter; set aside.
- In large saucepan combine sugar, milk, 1/2 cup butter, marshmallows and salt. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add cherry flavored chips, vanilla extract, stirring until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Set aside.
- In 4-cup measuring glass, melt milk chocolate chips in microwave oven on HIGH for 30 seconds, stir and microwave an additional 30 seconds; stir until melted. (If necessary, microwave an additional 15 seconds, but be very careful, as chocolate burns easily.) Stir in peanut butter, finely chopped peanuts and 1 tablespoon butter, mixing well. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over the cherry mixture.
- Allow to sit at room temperature until completely set and firm (or after two hours, place in refrigerator to speed up the hardening process).
- Lift candy from pan by foil edges and place on a cutting board. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store in cool place.
Makes 117 (1-inch) squares.
*If cherry chips are unavailable in your area, you can purchase them online at Loghousefoods.com. Or, you can substitute with 1 (11.5-ounce) package premium white chocolate chips,1 teaspoon cherry flavored oil or 1 ounce cherry extract and a few drops of red food coloring.
Caramel Mountain Candy Squares: Substitute the cherry chips with 1 (11.5-ounce) package premium white chocolate chips; add vanilla and stir until smooth, then add 1 (11-ounce) package Kraft brand soft caramel bits and stir, leaving some bits unmelted; quickly spread in pan and proceed as directed above. (If you cannot find Kraft's soft caramel bits, cut their regular caramel squares into quarters and then cut the quarters in half with a pair of kitchen scissors.)
White Mountain Candy Squares: Substitute the cherry chips with 1 (11.5-ounce) package premium white chocolate chips.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 square): 74.7 calories; 51% calories from fat; 4.5g total fat; 3.4mg cholesterol; 42.0mg sodium; 50.1mg potassium; 8.0g carbohydrates; 0.5g fiber; 5.4g sugar; 7.5g net carbs; 1.4g protein.