A date and nut confection that requires no cooking and makes a nice addition to a holiday dessert platter.
1 (16-ounce) box vanilla flavored wafers (such as Nabisco's Nilla Wafers)
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
1 (8-ounce) box pitted dates, chopped
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Powdered sugar, finely chopped nuts or shredded coconut for rolling (optional)
- Crush vanilla wafers and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add the cherries, dates and nuts, mixing well.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, mixing in well so that all ingredients are moistened.
- Let mixture set for about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into four parts (or desired amount) and shape into logs.
- Roll logs in powdered sugar, finely chopped nuts or shredded coconut, if desired, and wrap tightly in waxed paper. Refrigerate logs until set.
- When ready, slice and serve.
Makes 4 logs.