Ginger Sesame Popcorn Brittle
Candied ginger and toasted black sesame seeds add an exotic Asian flair to this irresistible popcorn brittle.
8 cups popped popcorn
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup light corn syrup
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds (optional)
1/2 cup finely diced candied ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Lightly butter a sheet pan or jelly roll pan; set aside.
- Spray a large metal bowl with cooking spray and place the popcorn inside.
- Measure all ingredients and have ready before cooking.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in corn syrup and sugar until blended.
- Attach a candy thermometer to saucepan and cook, stirring often, until mixture registers 290°F (145°C). Remove pan from heat.
- Working quickly, stir in sesame seeds, candied ginger, vanilla and salt until blended.
- Pour sugar mixture over popcorn and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Pour mixture out onto prepared pan and spread into single layer.
- Allow to cool completely before breaking into chunks.
- Store in an airtight container.
Makes 2 pounds.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.