Sweet Potato-Peanut Butter Wheels
Fun and tasty sweet potato pinwheel candies filled with peanut butter.
1 medium sweet potato
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 (16-ounce) boxes powdered sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
- Scrub the sweet potato and boil until tender. Cool and peel.
- In a food processor purée the sweet potato with the butter. Add the salt and vanilla, blending well. Set aside 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar, then gradually add remaining powdered sugar until the mixture is the consistency of thick, cooked dough. Wrap in a tea towel (or plastic wrap) and chill.
- Use enough sweet potato mixture to roll out a circle 1/4-inch thick and 12-inches in diameter. Keep the remaining sweet potato mixture covered with a damp tea towel.
- In a saucepan heat the peanut butter and spread in a thin layer over the rolled out sweet potato mixture. Roll like a jelly roll. Slice into 1-inch pieces, keeping the round shape.
- Prepare the remaining sweet potato mixture and peanut butter.
- Store the candy in a tightly covered container.
Makes about 4 dozen candies.
Recipe from the Sweet Potato Cookbook by Lyniece North Talmadge, courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.