3-Cheese Chicken Cacciatore Manicotti
Classic Italian seasonings, chicken and three cheeses are combined to create a delicious filling for manicotti pasta. Recipe created by Chef Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse, Philadelphia, on behalf of 3-A-Day of Dairy.
Nonstick cooking spray
1 (8-ounce) box manicotti
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup plum tomatoes (approximately 2 tomatoes), chopped
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese - divided use
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 (26-ounce) jar low-sodium, fat-free marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook manicotti 9 minutes according to package directions; rinse with cold water and drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, tomato, green pepper and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring often, or until vegetables are softened.
- In a large bowl, mix vegetables, chicken, mozzarella, ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup Parmesan, basil, salt and pepper until mixed. Using a small spoon, fill each manicotti with about 1/2 cup mixture.
- Pour 1/2 of the marinara sauce into prepared baking pan. Arrange filled manicotti over sauce and top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until manicotti is heated through and sauce is bubbling.
Makes 7 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/7 of recipe): Calories 410; Total Fat 11 g; Saturated Fat 6 g; Cholesterol 95 mg; Sodium 770 mg; Calcium 50%; Protein 33 g; Carbohydrates 45 g; Dietary Fiber 4 g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of 3-A-Day of Dairy.