A creamy, cheesy South-of-the-Border chicken and rice casserole.
1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
6 chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon parsley leaves
1 3/4 cups hot water
2 teaspoons chicken base
1 (5.3-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (10-ounce can) tomatoes and chiles
2 cups cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Salsa for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Layer in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish the rice, mushrooms, chicken, celery, onion and parsley.
- Combine the water, chicken base, milk, tomatoes and chiles. Pour over the chicken.
- Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cheese and bake for another 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Serve with salsa as a garnish.
Makes 6 servings.