Bean & Chicken Pies in a Pot
Individual, wholesome and delicious bean and chicken pot pies with an easy biscuit crust.
1 medium carrot, sliced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup red or green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
4 ounces mushrooms, quartered
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5-ounce) can fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
Pepper to taste
6 biscuits, plain, lower fat, refrigerator dough
- Spray medium saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Sauté carrot, onion, pepper, celery, and mushrooms until tender.
- Stir in flour and herbs. Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add pinto beans, chicken broth, chicken and peas. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Season to taste with pepper.
- Pour mixture into six (6-ounce) custard cups, or soufflé dishes. Top each with a biscuit.
- Bake pies in preheated 400°F (205°C) oven until biscuits are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Bean Education & Awareness Network.