Chicken Enchilada Casserole
"Well worth the effort. Tastes like restaurant fare." Recipe submitted by Rona.
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chile peppers*
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup light sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (6 ounces)
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- In large saucepan, cook onion and green pepper in the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine until tender. Combine in a bowl with chopped chicken and green chili peppers; set aside.
- In same saucepan, melt the 3 tablespoons butter or margarine. Blend in flour, coriander, and salt. Stir in chicken broth all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir 1/2 cup of the sauce into the chicken.
- Dip each tortilla into the remaining hot sauce to soften. Fill each with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Roll up. Arrange rolls in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered, in 350°F (175°C) oven about 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Makes 6 servings.
*Cut down to 1/2 a can if you like your food milder.