Chicken Kabobs with Papaya Chutney
Accompany these colorful curried kabobs and papaya chutney with jasmine rice flecked with fiery bits of crushed, dried red pepper.
1 cup chopped, peeled apple
1 cup chopped, peeled papaya
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tablespoons golden raisins
2 tablespoons chopped green and/or red bell pepper
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into 1-inch chunks (or use canned)
8 (10-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- For Papaya Chutney: In a medium saucepan, combine the apple, papaya, brown sugar, raisins, peppers, vinegar, water, lemon juice and rind, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until fruit is tender and chutney is desired consistency.
- For Chicken Kabobs: In a small saucepan cook the onion in boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the curry powder and garlic in hot oil for 15 to 20 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, water, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Thread chicken cubes, bell peppers, pineapple and onion on wooden skewers.
- Stir the curry mixture and brush kabobs on all sides.
- Grill kabobs on an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 14 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink, turning to brown evenly. Or, place kabobs on an unheated rack of a broiler pan; broil 5 to 6-inches from the heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning to brown evenly.
- Serve kabobs immediately with Papaya Chutney.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 474.1 calories; 17% calories from fat; 9.3g total fat; 65.8mg cholesterol; 441.4mg sodium; 1155.1mg potassium; 76.9g carbohydrates; 8.3g fiber; 54.4g sugar; 68.7g net carbs; 29.7g protein.