Chicken Manicotti with Chive Cream Sauce
A tasty casserole of manicotti pasta stuffed with a cheesy chive cream mixture of chopped chicken, broccoli and roasted red peppers.
12 packaged dry manicotti shells
1 (8-ounce) container soft-style cream cheese with chives and onions
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1/2 of a 7-ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained and sliced
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook manicotti shells according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small heavy saucepan, melt cream cheese over medium-low heat; stirring constantly. Slowly add milk, stirring until smooth. Stir in Romano or Parmesan cheese. Remove from heat.
- For filling, in a medium mixing bowl stir together 3/4 cup of the sauce, chicken, broccoli, roasted red peppers and black pepper. Using a small spoon, carefully fill each manicotti shell with about 1/3 cup of the filling.
- Arrange the filled shells in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the shells. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover with foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 6 (2 manicotti) servings.