Who says you have to make scampi with shrimp? Yes, scampi is actually the Italian word for large shrimp, but it's also the name of a classic Italian dish. This quick and easy recipe uses tender strips of chicken breast and ingredients readily found in the pantry.
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
4 large garlic cloves, finely minced (about 2 tablespoons)
16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch long strips (approximately 1/3-inches thick)
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or to taste
Hot cooked pasta or rice
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Combine the parsley, basil oregano and minced garlic in a small bowl or cup; set aside.
- Slice chicken breasts; season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the butter and oil over medium-high until melted and hot. Add the parsley, basil, oregano and garlic and sauté until garlic begins to turn lightly golden, about 20 to 30 seconds. (Do not let garlic burn or it will taste bitter.)
- Add the chicken and sauté until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is done*. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Serve with or over hot, cooked pasta or rice. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
*It is important when cooking chicken that it is cooked thoroughly, so there is no pink and the flesh is opaque all the way through. However, watch this dish closely as the thinly sliced chicken will quickly turn from "done" to "dry" due to the process of cooking in a hot butter/oil mixture.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 461.9 calories; 72% calories from fat; 38.0g total fat; 129.4mg cholesterol; 712.0mg sodium; 351.5mg potassium; 2.5g carbohydrates; 0.3g fiber; 0.4g sugar; 2.3g net carbs; 27.8g protein.