Chicken with Grapes
This chicken dish—in the classic style of Veronique with seedless white grapes—is not to be rushed, the long and low cooking time and temperature yields a taste delight well worth the wait. The sauce is delicious over hot cooked long grain rice.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
4 large, chicken breasts, halved or 2 fryers, cut into serving pieces
2 pounds seedless white grapes
1 pound fresh whole mushrooms
1/2 cup whole blanched almonds
Hot cooked long grain rice for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Combine flour with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess, and place in prepared baking pan, skin side up.
- Bake for 1 hour, uncovered, turning often in first half hour.
- Turn chicken again after the first hour and sprinkle with grapes, mushrooms, and almonds. Cover tightly and continue baking an additional 2 hours.
- Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.