Chicken with Saffron Rice
A deliciously quick and easy version of the classic Spanish dish, paella.
6 chicken breast halves or thighs (about 2 pounds total)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 cup long grain rice
1 (6.5-ounce) can minced clams
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground saffron or 1/4 teaspoon thread saffron
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
1/4 cup water
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
8 ounces medium raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels.
- In a 12-inch oven-proof skillet, cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat about 10 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet. Cook about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in rice. Cook and stir until rice is light brown.
- Drain clams, reserving liquid; set aside.
- Stir cumin, salt, pepper and saffron into rice mixture. Stir in undrained tomatoes, chicken broth, water and reserved clam liquid. Bring to boiling. Top with chicken pieces. Cover tightly and bake in a 400°F (205°C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Stir in reserved clams, peas, shrimp and olives. Cover and bake about 15 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink and shrimp turn pink. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.