Delizioso! This colorful, sweet and sour Italian-style chicken dish was developed at the Art Institute of Charlotte, Charlotte, North Carolina.
1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced finely
1 carrot, peeled and diced finely
1 celery stalk, diced finely
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried rosemary, minced or crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 green bell pepper, julienned
1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
3/4 cup white wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Season pieces of chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large Dutch oven or oven-proof, lidded skillet, warm olive oil over medium high heat.
- Place chicken in pan in single layer (in batches, if necessary), and cook chicken, turning, until well browned, about 10 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- To pan on stove, add onion, carrot and celery; sauté until slightly softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary and oregano; sauté one minute more. Add tomatoes and peppers; cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and boil until liquid reduces by half, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar.
- Return chicken pieces to pan, cover and place in oven. Cook chicken until tender and cooked through, about 45 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 540 calories; 27 g fat; 7 g saturated fat; 18 g carbohydrate.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.