Chicken and Great Northern Beans in Phyllo
Crisp phyllo packets, filled with sautéed chicken breast and seasoned white beans, served with a thyme butter sauce.
3 slices bacon, but into 1-inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
3 cloves garlic, halved
4 sprigs fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
2 (15.5-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed, drained
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into halves
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
1 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo dough, thawed
1 to 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, melted
Thyme Butter Sauce:
3 ounces shallots, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 pound unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes, softened
4 sprigs fresh or 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- Cook bacon until beginning to brown in large skillet; add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Sauté until onion is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add thyme and bay leaf; sauté 1 minute. Add beans and chicken stock; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered,until vegetable are tender, 10 to 15 minutes; drain and discard any remaining stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sauté chicken in oil until browned on all sides in large skillet; drain and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Lay 1 phyllo sheet on clean surface; brush lightly with melted butter. Layer with 3 more sheets phyllo, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with damp towel to prevent drying. Cut buttered phyllo stack into 4 equal squares. Place chicken breast piece in center of each square and top with about 1/4 cup bean mixture. Fold sides of squares in and roll up to form packets. Place packets, seam side down on parchment-lined cookie sheet; brush tops of packets with melted butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo, melted butter, chicken and bean mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until phyllo is golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Place on plates; serve with Thyme Butter Sauce.
- For Thyme Butter Sauce: Heat shallots, wine and vinegar to boiling in medium saucepan; reduce heat and simmer rapidly until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Stir in cream and simmer rapidly until very thick. Reduce heat to low. Add butter to saucepan, 1 piece at a time, whisking constantly. Strain; discard shallots. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove thyme leaves from stems; stir into sauce. Makes about 2 cups.
Makes 8 main dish servings (2 packets each).
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Bean Education & Awareness Network.