Chicken and Mango Stir-Fry
Mangoes have not always been a major cooking ingredient in Chinese cooking but with the introduction of modern fusion cuisine, it has become a popular staple.
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon Shao Hsing rice cooking wine or dry sherry
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, legs or thighs
1/3 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons finely julienned ginger
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 cup julienned red bell pepper
8 asparagus, cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1 medium mango, peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts (optional)
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the 1 tablespoon cornstarch, soy sauce, rice cooking wine or sherry and 1 tablespoon canola oil. Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes and add to the marinade and mix well. Refrigerate uncovered for 30 seconds
- In a small bowl combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, fish sauce, oyster sauce and granulated sugar. Set aside.
- Heat a 14-inch flat bottomed wok or skillet over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl 1 tablespoon of the canola oil into the wok and carefully add the chicken mixture spreading it evenly in the wok. Cook undisturbed for about 1 minute or until the chicken starts to brown. Using a metal spatula, stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned but not cooked through. Transfer to a warm plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil to the wok and swirl around. When hot, add the garlic, ginger and red chili flakes and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add the onion, bell pepper and asparagus and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the sauce mixture and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
- Return the chicken to the wok and stir-fry for another 1 to 2 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and mango and toss to coat until sauce has thickened, about 30 seconds. Transfer to warm serving platter and sprinkle with the nuts.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 460; Total Fat: 24g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 105mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 40g; Sodium: 510mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.