Chicken Breast and Goat Cheese in Grape Leaves
with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
This elegant dish is worthy to be deemed company fare. Chicken breasts are topped with goat cheese, fresh basil and sage leaves, wrapped in grape leaves, steam-cooked and served with a roasted red pepper sauce.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 ounces soft goat cheese*
4 fresh basil leaves
4 fresh sage leaves
8 or 12 grape leaves in brine
1 garlic clove
1 sprig rosemary
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Hot cooked jasmine or other long grain rice for accompaniment (optional)
- Sprinkle chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Divide goat cheese into 4 portions and spread on top of each piece of chicken. Place 1 basil leaf and 1 sage leaf on each; wrap chicken with 2 or 3 grape leaves.
- In large saucepan with steaming rack, place about 1 inch of water; add garlic and rosemary and bring to a boil.
- Arrange chicken on steaming rack, cover and cook on high heat for about 20 minutes, making sure that the water doesn't completely evaporate.
- For Roasted Red Pepper Sauce: Place roasted sweet pepper in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan cook the onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add puréed roasted peppers and sugar. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Place chicken on serving plate and pour sauce around it. Serve with rice, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
*Ricotta or cream cheese mixed with Parmesan may be substituted.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.