Chicken In Paradise
Tender chicken thighs baked in a tropically-inspired 'Paradise Sauce' and topped with coconut and macadamia nuts.
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
8 chicken thighs
2 large eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Paradise Sauce (recipe follows)
1 tablespoon shredded coconut
1 tablespoon finely chopped macadamia nuts
Hot cooked rice for accompaniment (optional)
3 pineapple rings, halved for accompaniment (optional)
- In medium bowl, mix together garlic salt, ginger, chicken broth and orange juice concentrate. Place chicken in broth mixture and marinate 1 hour.
- In medium shallow bowl, place beaten eggs; in separate medium shallow bowl, mix beaten eggs and then dredge to coat in cornstarch mixture.
- In electric skillet, place oil and heat over medium-high temperature; add chicken and sauté about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Place chicken, skin side down, in large baking pan; pour Paradise Sauce over chicken.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C), turning after first 15 minutes. Sprinkle with coconut and macadamia nuts. Continue to bake about 15 minutes more or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Serve on bed of rice garnished with pineapple rings, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Paradise Sauce: In medium saucepan, mix together 3/4 cup brown sugar (loosely packed), 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 2 tablespoons honey, 1/4 cup catsup and 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple tidbits with liquid. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.