Chicken Italiano with Provolone Cheese
Breaded and sautéed chicken breasts are baked topped with a layer of fresh basil leaves, roasted red peppers, Parmesan and provolone cheeses and pine nuts. Serve with a garnish of fresh lemon for drizzling atop each portion.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (2 pounds)
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Wisconsin Parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Provolone cheese, shredded - divided use
1/4 cup pine nuts
Small bunch of fresh basil leaves
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, halved, drained
Lemon wedges for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Place chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper and flatten to 1/2-inch thickness. Dredge each breast in flour mixture.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat. Brown chicken, turning occasionally, until fully cooked, about 6 minutes. Add additional butter, if necessary. Place chicken in a single layer in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Drizzle chicken with lemon juice.
- In small bowl, combine Wisconsin Parmesan Cheese, 1 1/2 cups Wisconsin Provolone Cheese and pine nuts; set aside.
- Cover each breast with a layer of basil leaves. Divide cheese mixture over breasts; cover with roasted red pepper halves. Sprinkle with remaining Provolone Cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 20 minutes, until breasts are cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.