Chicken Legs with Glazed Eggplant, Zucchini and Apricots
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
4 whole chicken leg quarters
2 teaspoons salt - divided use
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper - divided use
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 small eggplant, sliced into 1/2 to 3/4-inch slices
2 small zucchini, sliced into 1/2 to 3/4-inch slices
8 dried apricots
8 wooden or metal skewers
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic and olive oil. Crush into a paste by pressing the garlic to the sides and bottom of the bowl with the back of a spoon.
- Place chicken legs in baking dish and rub all over with garlic rosemary paste, rubbing over and under skin. Allow chicken to marinate for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, combine balsamic vinegar, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce by half, about 15 to 20 minutes. If using wooden skewers, soak skewers in water to prevent burning while cooking.
- Place vegetables and apricots in a large bowl. Pour balsamic glaze over; toss to coat well. String vegetables and apricots onto skewers, alternating between eggplant, zucchini and apricots. Reserve any remaining glaze in bowl.
- Preheat broiler or prepare grill by heating on high, covered for about 10 minutes. Adjust grill heat to medium high after preheating.
- Over medium high heat, sear or broil chicken on lightly oiled rack. Turn over once until well browned, cooking for a total of 6 to 8 minutes. Continue to cook chicken, moving and turning to avoid burning. Grill or broil chicken, until it reaches an internal temperature of 170°F (76.6°C), about another 20 to 25 minutes.
- When chicken is halfway done, place vegetable skewers on grill or under broiler. Grill, turning often, until vegetables are tender and browned but not falling off of skewers, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- To Serve: Place chicken on a platter, arrange skewers (or remove vegetables from skewers if preferred) next to chicken. Drizzle warm vegetables with remaining honey balsamic glaze.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 340; Total Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 70mg; Total Carbs: 38g; Protein: 30g; Sodium: 960mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.