Chicken Smothered in Okra-Tomato Sauce
Chicken in a spicy, Cajun-seasoned gumbo-style tomato sauce with okra, and served over rice.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 chicken legs
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
1 (14.5-ounce) can Cajun-style stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Hot cooked rice for accompaniment
Extra hot pepper sauce for accompaniment
- In shallow dish, mix together flour, seasoning salt and black pepper. Add chicken, turning to coat each piece.
- In large skillet, place oil and heat over medium heat. Add chicken and cook about 20 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove chicken from skillet and drain off all but 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery; cook, stirring, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, okra, tomatoes, thyme, parsley and hot pepper sauce.
- Return chicken to skillet; spoon sauce over chicken. Cover and cook over medium low heat about 15 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Serve with rice and pass hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.