For a great tasting change of pace, try this delicious tropical chicken and rice casserole.
3 1/2 cups pineapple juice
1 cup uncooked rice
1 cup crushed pineapple
1/2 cup commercial bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
- In large saucepan, place pineapple juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add rice, stirring. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Turn off heat and add crushed pineapple*
- In shallow dish, mix together bread crumbs, nuts and coconut; set aside.
- Brush both sides of chicken pieces with honey. Roll chicken, one piece at time, in bread crumb mixture, pressing mixture into chicken to coat thoroughly.
- In large skillet, place butter and melt over medium heat. Add chicken and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until brown.
- Spray casserole dish with vegetable spray. Add rice mixture and arrange chicken on top. Cover and bake at 350°F (175°C) about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
Makes 4 servings.
*If rice appears too moist, it will be absorbed later in the baking.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.