Chicken with Mushrooms, Olives and Polenta
This terrific recipe was Chicken with Mushrooms, Olives and Polenta was submitted by Mary Ann Mariotti, Naperville, IL.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 can pitted black olives
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons chicken base
Polenta (recipe follows)
- Cut each chicken breast half into 8 to 10 pieces.
- In large skillet, place oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomato sauce, olives, sage, salt, pepper and mushrooms; simmer on low heat about 8 minutes.
- Add water and chicken base, stirring; simmer while preparing Polenta.
- To serve, spoon chicken mixture over Polenta.
Makes 4 servings.
Polenta: In large bowl, mix together 2 cups cornmeal and 2 cups cold water; set aside. In large saucepan over medium heat, place 5-1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Stir in cornmeal mixture, 2 tablespoons chicken base and 2 tablespoons butter. Cook about 10 minutes or until smooth and thickened. Place Polenta in 9x13-inch glass dish and keep warm until ready to serve.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.