Chicken with Spring Vegetables & Parmesan Biscuits
A tasty chicken pot pie with sugar snap peas, asparagus and baby carrots topped with fluffy, golden brown Parmesan biscuits.
3 cups cooked chicken, diced (about 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
6 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 2 cups)
4 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 1/4 cups)
6 ounces baby carrots (about 1 1/4 cups)
4 green onions, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Butter for greasing
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
5 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup milk, or more if needed
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- To make filling: Put the chicken into 8-inch square baking dish. Steam peas and asparagus together until al dente, about 2 minutes. Steam carrots for 3 minutes. Add peas, asparagus, carrots and green onions to baking dish, mix with chicken.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Reduce heat to low, gradually whisk in chicken broth. Stir in rosemary and bring sauce to simmer, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper and let cook for 1 minute. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables. Set aside while making biscuits.
- To make the biscuits: Butter bottom and sides of 8-inch square baking dish.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cheese and rosemary. Use your fingers to rub butter into flour, working quickly, until butter pieces are roughly the size of peas (or use a pastry cutter). Stir in milk quickly, until dough forms. Add up to 2 tablespoons of additional milk if dough seems dry.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Pat dough into 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough into 9 squares (3 rows of 3). Arrange biscuits in buttered pan and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Bake dish of filling and dish of biscuits for 12 minutes, until the biscuits are puffed and just beginning to brown. Use spatula to transfer biscuits to other dish atop filling. Bake for additional 5 minutes, until biscuits are nicely browned.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.