with California Avocado and Pickled Tomato Salsa
Recipe created by chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger for the California Avocado Commission.
Pickled Tomato Salsa:
1 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut in quarters
1/2 bunch green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
2 serrano chiles, with seeds, thinly sliced in rounds
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Cilantro Chicken with California Avocado:
4 (6-ounce) boneless chicken thighs or breasts, with skin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
4 green onions, trimmed
2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cut
2 cups cooked brown basmati rice for accompaniment
- For Picked Tomato Salsa: In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with green onions and chiles.
- In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Add brown sugar, packed and salt, and cook until dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Measure ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, cracked peppercorns, cumin, cayenne and turmeric onto a plate and place near stove. In another medium saucepan, heat oil over moderate heat until just smoking. Add spices and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until aromas are released, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar mixture. Immediately pour over reserved tomato mixture. Stir to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or several days.
- Before serving, remove tomatoes from juices, roughly chop, and return to pickling liquid.
- For Cilantro Chicken with California Avocado: In a shallow, non-reactive dish, season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Combine olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and cumin in a small bowl. Brush mixture on green onions and pour remainder over chicken, tossing to evenly coat. Allow to marinate at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat broiler or grill. Beginning with skin side toward the heat source, broil or grill chicken until just cooked through, about 12 minutes per side for thighs and about 9 minutes per side for breasts. Grill or broil green onions about 2 minutes per side.
- Toss Pickled Tomato Salsa with diced avocados and reserve until chicken is cooked.
- To serve, arrange grilled chicken over a bed of basmati rice. Mound avocado salsa mixture on top of chicken. Garnish with grilled green onions. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
To peel tomatoes, remove the cores and score an X on the underside. Blanch for 15 seconds in boiling water and immediately plunge into iced water to prevent continued cooking. Peel with a paring knife.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Avocado Commission.