Cog Au Vin
Turn your kitchen into a bistro with this recipe for the classic French countryside dish, chicken in wine sauce, flavored with smoky bacon, onion, carrot, garlic, parsley and thyme.
8 smoked bacon slices
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 whole chicken, cut up
1/4 cup butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 1/2 cups red wine (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon or burgundy)
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon minced parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels and crumble. Set aside.
- Heat oil in oven-proof Dutch oven or cooking pot and brown the chicken pieces. Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aide.
- In same cooking pot, melt the butter and cook the onion and carrot until softened. Add garlic and then stir in flour, cooking for 1 minute while stirring constantly. Add wine and chicken broth, continue stirring until sauce thickens. Add crushed bacon, parsley, thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Return chicken to cooking pot, including any juices in the bowl, cover and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until chicken is done when juices run clear.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.