Creamy Poblano Rice with Chicken
Jazz up your chicken and rice with this wonderful combination of flavors. This is a terrific tasting rendition of an Italian classic, risotto. You can be sure your family will ask for this creamy dish again.
3 tablespoons vegetable oil - divided use
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small poblano chile pepper, finely chopped
2 (about 8 ounces total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or paprika (optional)
1 cup uncooked medium or short grain rice
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 (4-ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and chile pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add chicken, black pepper and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is lightly browned and no longer pink. Remove chicken mixture to bowl; set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in same saucepan over medium heat. Add rice; stir to coat well. Microwave broth in 1-quart microwave-safe measuring cup on HIGH (100%) power for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until very hot.
- Add hot broth to rice small amounts at a time, stirring constantly. Allow each addition of broth to be absorbed before adding more. Once broth is gone, add evaporated milk in the same manner, stirring until absorbed. The process will take between 25 to 35 minutes. When the rice soft, stir in reserved chicken mixture and mushrooms. Rice should be creamy, not soupy.
Makes 4 servings.
- Different brands of enchilada sauce may have different heat levels. A hotter enchilada sauce can be used if a spicier dish is desired.
- Sliced black olives may be added to the layers.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 520 Calories from Fat: 220 Total Fat: 24 g Saturated Fat: 8 g Cholesterol: 70 mg Sodium: 1060 mg Carbohydrates: 54 g Dietary Fiber: 3 g Sugars: 11 g Protein: 21 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.