Crispy Chicken Fingers with Fresh Tomato Salsa
Recipe courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.
Fresh Tomato Salsa:
4 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 small red onion, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh basil
Seasoning salt and ground black pepper to taste
Crispy Chicken Fingers:
4 ounces fresh white bread crumbs
1 ounce cheddar cheese, finely grated
1 ounce freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 small boneless skinless chicken breast
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten
Olive oil for drizzling
- For Fresh Tomato Salsa: In a medium sized bowl mix together the tomatoes, red onion, oil, basil and seasoning salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside.
- For Crispy Chicken Fingers: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a shallow dish combine the bread crumbs, cheeses and seasoning. Set aside.
- Cut each chicken breast into 4 to 5 long thin strips lengthwise. Place the chicken in a clean freezer bag with the flour and seasoning and shake together until chicken is well coated.
- Place beaten egg in a shallow dish then dip the chicken strips into the egg until well coated then shake off any excess.
- Dip the egg coated chicken strips into the bread crumb mixture and toss together until well coated.
- Place chicken strips on a lightly greased baking tray and drizzle over a little extra oil. Cook in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes turning over halfway through cooking until well cooked, golden brown and crispy.
- Serve chicken strips immediately with the Fresh Tomato Salsa and salad.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: The Fresh Tomato Salsa is delicious, but if you are pushed for time you can use a bought salsa or dip.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 358; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Total Carbs: 27g; Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 6g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.