Curried Chicken with Peaches
Tender chicken breasts in a creamy, coconut and onion curry sauce with sweet peaches.
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter - divided use
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock or broth
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon red currant jelly or juice of half a lemon mixed with 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed to a paste with 1 tablespoon cold water
2 ripe peaches, cut in half
Hot cooked rice for accompaniment
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil or butter in a Dutch oven and sauté breasts slowly until well-browned on all sides; remove from pan and keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil or butter in the pan. Add onion and sauté until golden brown. Stir in curry powder and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Pour in stock, stirring constantly. Add garlic and bring to boil. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer chicken to a large serving platter. Keep warm
- Add the coconut milk and red currant jelly to pan and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in heavy cream into curry sauce and thicken (if needed) with cornstarch mixture. Stir in peaches. Heat thoroughly and ladle sauce over chicken.
Makes 8 servings.