Curried Chicken Drumsticks on Gingered Vegetables
A flavorful and economical curried chicken and harvest vegetable dish that's perfect fare on cool autumn days.
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
1 onion, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
2 potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely diced
1 cup apple cider
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8 chicken drumsticks
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, stir together butternut squash, onion, potatoes, crystallized ginger and apple cider. Sprinkle salt and pepper into mixture, stirring to coat.
- In small bowl, stir together curry powder, ground ginger and cumin.
- Place drumsticks in baking dish on top of vegetable mixture. Sprinkle spice mixture over drumsticks.
- Bake in preheated oven 1 hour, until vegetables are very tender and chicken is brown and cooked through.
Makes 4 (2 drumstick) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 425; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Total Carbs: 49g; Protein: 32g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.