Curry-Lime Chicken Thighs with Tomato-Lima Bean Salsa
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
1 1/2 to 2 pounds chicken thighs
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon diced fresh gingerroot
1 teaspoon curry powder
Juice of 1 lime
1 cup red cider vinegar
1 cup water
2 teaspoons pickling spices
3 teaspoons salt - divided use
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 1/2 cups lima beans, cooked in water for 4 minutes, then drained and cooled
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
1 small sweet onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine yogurt, ginger, curry powder and lime juice. Add chicken thighs and turn to coat with yogurt mixture. Allow to marinate in refrigerator 1 to 4 hours.
- In small saucepan, combine vinegar and water; add pickling spices, 2 teaspoons salt, sugar, red pepper flakes and celery seed. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Place lima beans, tomatoes and onion in container. Using a fine mesh sieve, pour the warm vinegar mixture through it and into the vegetable mixture. Add cilantro. Cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Remove chicken from marinade, draining excess. Season thighs on both sides with remaining teaspoon salt.
- Place chicken on grill or under broiler to sear. Turn over once until well browned, cooking for a total of 6 to 8 minutes. Continue to cook chicken, turning to avoid burning. Grill or broil chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 170°F (76.6°C), about another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, place about 1/3 cup salsa on each plate and place a grilled thigh next to the salsa.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 400; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Total Carbs: 24g; Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 33g; Sodium: 980mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.