Layers of corn tortillas, creamy cheese sauce and moist, tender chicken make this casserole dish hard to resist.
2 to 3 cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into small pieces (about 3 cups) - divided use
1 (28-ounce) can or 2 (15-ounce) cans mild red enchilada sauce
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, undrained
1 (12-count) package corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Grease 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Combine enchilada sauce and sour cream in medium bowl. Combine evaporated milk, cheese and chiles in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese has melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup enchilada sauce mixture on bottom of prepared baking dish. Layer with 4 tortillas, 1 cup enchilada sauce mixture, 1 1/2 cups chicken, 1 cup cheese sauce; repeat layers one more time, starting with tortillas. Top with remaining tortillas, enchilada sauce mixture and cheese sauce. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover; cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- Different brands of enchilada sauce may have different heat levels. A hotter enchilada sauce can be used if a spicier dish is desired.
- Sliced black olives may be added to the layers.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.