Gold Coin Chicken
This terrific recipe for Gold Coin Chicken was submitted by Betty Noel of Spokane, Washington.
2 tablespoons butter
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup golden molasses
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 tablespoons finely minced onion
1 tablespoon freshly grated gingerroot
2 cups carrots, peeled and cut in 1/4 inch rounds
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
- In large skillet, place butter and melt over medium heat. Add chicken, sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and pepper and cook about 8 minutes or until chicken is brown on all sides. Remove chicken to 7x10-inch baking pan in single layer.
- To skillet, add molasses, orange juice, onion and gingerroot. Stir until heated through and well blended. Brush mixture generously over chicken, cover and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 30 minutes.
- In medium saucepan, place a small amount of water and carrots. Cover and steam about 5 minutes or until crispy tender. Drain.
- Baste chicken again with molasses-orange glaze, return to oven uncovered and bake about 10 minutes more or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Add drained carrots to skillet and stir gently until carrots are well coated with glaze.
- To serve, arrange chicken on serving platter and place carrot "coins" as a border around chicken. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.