Golden Harvest Chicken
This terrific recipe for Golden Harvest Chicken was submitted by Ruth Osborne of Gulfport, Mississippi.
4 chicken breast halves, skinned
Golden Harvest Marinade (recipe follows)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium red apple, halved, cored and cut in 1/4-inch slices
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
4 green onions, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
Steamed broccoli florets for garnish (optional)
- With sharp knife make diagonal cuts 1-inch apart in thickest part of each chicken breast. Place chicken, smooth side down, in container with marinade. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade; reserve marinade.
- In skillet, place oil and heat to medium high temperature. Add chicken, smooth side down, and cook about 5 minutes or until brown. Drain oil from skillet. Turn chicken, cover with reserved marinade, place apples on top of chicken and simmer over low heat about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Remove chicken and apples to serving plate.
- Over high heat, reduce marinade by one-half.
- In small dish mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture and onions to skillet, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened.
- Spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with steamed broccoli florets, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Golden Harvest Marinade: In large non metal container, mix together 2 cups apple juice, 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce, 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric and 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.