Grilled Chicken Breasts Molé
Recipe courtesy of California Dried Plum Board.
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup (3 ounces) pitted California Dried Plums
4 canned chipotles in adobo, rinsed and seeded*
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
6 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
12 corn tortillas
- To make molé, in saucepan, bring broth and dried plums to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let sit 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove half of dried plums; reserve for garnish.
- In blender, purée remaining dried plums, broth, chipotles and 1/4 cup of the almonds.
- Return mixture to saucepan; add chocolate. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Season with salt. (Molé can be kept warm, or refrigerated and reheated as needed.)
- Sprinkle chicken with chili powder; season with salt.
- On gas or charcoal grill, or in heated grill pan, grill chicken about 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Grill tortillas, or heat in oven or steamer.
- To Serve: Slice chicken; divide among 6 plates. Spoon molé sauce over chicken. Garnish with reserved dried plums and almonds; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve tortillas on side.
Makes 6 servings.
*For spicier molé, do not rinse or seed chipotles.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 416; Total Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 66mg; Total Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 33g; Sodium: 408mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Dried Plum Board.