Grilled Chicken on Skewers with Moorish Spices
This delicious recipe is from the Washburne Culinary Institute, Chicago, Illinois.
1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 40)
2 lemons, juiced
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
40 seedless red grapes
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 lemon, zested
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In shallow glass dish, combine chicken pieces with lemon juice, coriander, cumin, salt, oregano, pepper and olive oil. Stir well, cover with plastic and allow to marinate in refrigerator for one hour, or up to overnight.
- In medium bowl, combine yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, cumin, mint, salt and pepper. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill or preheat broiler.
- Thread five chicken pieces and five red grapes, alternating, on a 12-inch wooden or metal skewer, or a sturdy rosemary branch. (If using wooden skewers, soak in water for one hour.) Place on grill and cook, turning, until done throughout, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with dollop of minted yogurt sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.