Grilled Chicken with Green Beans and Walnuts
This recipe uses the rich, juicy thigh meat of the chicken, a perfect meat for cooking over the coals. The dish is almost a meal in itself, as it combines the chicken with crisp green beans and a wonderful toasted walnut dressing.
1 pound green beans
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves
1 cup walnuts, toasted
3 tablespoons walnut oil
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For Green Beans: In pot of boiling water, place green beans and cook about 5 minutes. Drain beans; run under cold, running water.
- For Marinade: Place olive oil, lemon juice and cilantro into the bowl of a food processor. Whirl until cilantro is finely chopped. Remove 1/2 cup of olive oil marinade; place in a large Ziploc plastic bag. Set aside.
- For Dressing: Add walnuts, walnut oil, garlic, salt and pepper to other ingredients in the food processor. Whirl until walnuts are finely chopped; set aside. Place dressing in bowl; cover with plastic and refrigerate.
- For Chicken: Place chicken thighs in Ziploc bag with marinade; seal tightly and shake well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Prepare coals for grill.
- Remove chicken from marinade and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- When coals are hot, place chicken on grill and cook, turning often, for about 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, toss the green beans with dressing. Arrange the beans on a platter and set cooked chicken on top.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.