Lemon Barbecued Chicken
Simple, yet delicious! Chicken quarters are marinated in a tasty, tart and tangy lemon and herb marinade and grilled.
1 1/4 cups lemon juice
6 to 8 garlic cloves
1 small onion, quartered
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried thyme
4 pounds chicken quarters
Fresh basil sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Process first 6 ingredients in a blender 1 minute or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Turn blender on high; add oil in a slow, steady stream. Add basil and thyme; process on low 30 seconds.
- Remove 2 cups sauce; cover and chill 8 hours.
- Place chicken in shallow dishes or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bags; add remaining sauce. Cover or seal; chill 8 hours. Drain, discarding sauce.
- Prepare fire by piling charcoal or lava rocks on 1 side of grill. Place a drip pan on opposite side. Coat food rack with vegetable cooking spray; place on grill.
- Grill chicken, skin side up and covered with grill lid, directly over medium-high heat (350°F to 400°F / 175°C to 205°C) 15 minutes. Turn chicken, and cook, covered with grill lid, 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove chicken from direct heat, and arrange over drip pan; cook, covered with grill lid, over indirect heat 25 to 35 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of chicken registers 180°F (85°C).
- Cook remaining sauce in a sauce pan over medium heat until hot. Serve with chicken. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.