Lively Lemon Chicken with Capers
This terrific recipe for Lively Lemon Chicken and Capers was submitted by Helen Conwell of Fairhope, Alabama.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1/4 cup minced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup dry vermouth
1 tablespoon small capers
Lemon slices for garnish (optional)
Mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Gently pound chicken to 1/4 inch thickness; sprinkle with salt.
- In medium bowl, mix together mint, basil, thyme and tomatoes; sprinkle over chicken. Roll up each chicken breast and fasten with toothpicks.
- In large skillet, place olive oil and heat to medium temperature. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Stir in chicken broth and lemon juice, scraping any brown bits from bottom of pan. Add onion, cover and simmer about 10 minutes or juices run clear and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Remove chicken rolls from skillet, set aside and keep warm.
- In small dish, mix cornstarch and vermouth until smooth. Add to skillet and cook, stirring, until mixture is clear; stir in capers.
- To serve, place half the sauce in serving dish, slice chicken and place, overlapping slices, on top of sauce. Spoon remaining sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices and mint sprigs, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.