Mushroom and Chicken Quinoa with Chiles
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
3/4 cup quinoa
8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 oyster mushroom, roughly chopped
1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 small red jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
1 small red pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 fresh green onions, chopped
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Dash freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
5 tablespoons cotija cheese, crumbled
- Combine quinoa in a medium sauce pan with 1 1/2 cups of water; simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Remove cooked quinoa large bowl; loosely cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat; spray with cooking spray and add chicken. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until cooked through, turning once through. Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large bowl toss together 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, onion, peppers, parsley, green onions and red pepper flakes. Place mix on rimmed baking sheet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes stirring once.
- Toss cooked vegetables with warm quinoa; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle mixture with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss until evenly mixed.
- Add diced chicken and cheese; toss again. Serve warm.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 339; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 36mg; Total Carbs: 28g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 18g; Sodium: 45mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.