Mushroom Chicken Piccata
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
4 (4-ounce) chicken breast cutlets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 teaspoons olive oil - divided use
12 ounces crimini mushrooms, quartered
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons capers, with juice
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and heat till hot, but not smoking, then add chicken and cook until nicely browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and cover.
- In the same pan, warm the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of mushrooms and cook, without stirring, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side. Flip mushrooms, add garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add wine and scrape up any browned bits in the pan. Bring to a boil and add stock, then return heat until it is bubbling nicely.
- Slice 4 very thin slices of lemon and add to the pan along with the juice from half of the lemon. Add capers and continue cooking sauce till it becomes a glaze, about 2 more minutes.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and heat through, then serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 199; Total Fat: 6g; Fiber: 2g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.