New Age Chicken Pot Pies
Liven up this traditional standby with sweet potatoes, green onions and fresh thyme. Easy to prepare, elegant to serve.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch diced, peeled sweet potatoes
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 cup cooked green peas
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in stock until you have a smooth sauce. Bring to a boil and add sweet potatoes, chicken, green onions, peas, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook on low, stirring frequently until sweet potatoes are tender, 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 to 10 minutes. Divide mixture between 4 medium-sized oven-proof bowls.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Cut 4 circles from puff pastry, each large enough to cover the top of bowls.
- Brush rims of chicken/sweet potato mixture-filled bowls with water and place a pastry round on top of each, pressing edges tightly to seal. Brush tops of pastry with egg wash.
- Place prepared bowls on a baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes, until puffed and golden-brown. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.