Orange Crusted Chicken with Berry Brown Rice
This terrific recipe for Orange Crusted Chicken with Berry Brown Rice was submitted by Maya Kline of Boise, Idaho.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1/2 cup milk
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
6 tablespoons butter or margarine - divided use
3 tablespoons slivered almonds - divided use
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup orange juice - divided use
1/2 cup water
1 cup instant brown rice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Orange slices for garnish (optional)
Dried cranberries for garnish (optional)
- In shallow dish, mix together flour and orange peel.
- In shallow bowl, pour milk.
- Dip chicken first in milk, then in flour, dredging to coat.
- In large skillet, place 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 20 minutes or until fork can be inserted with ease.
- While chicken is cooking, in medium saucepan melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add 2 tablespoons of the almonds and garlic over medium heat, stirring constantly about 1 minute. Add allspice, cinnamon and cayenne pepper; stir to mix. Add cranberries, 1/2 cup of orange juice and water; bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- To serve, place rice in center of platter. Arrange chicken around rice.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon almonds to skillet and sauté, stirring, about 1 minute. Add remaining 1/4 cup orange juice to pan and stir in cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water.
- Drizzle sauce over chicken. Garnish with orange slices and dried cranberries, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.