Low-fat fried chicken? Yes, if you follow this recipe. Baked in an herb-seasoned crust of cornmeal and whole wheat bread crumbs, these chicken breasts are juicy inside, crisp and crunchy outside.
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, dry sage, dry thyme, and dry basil
Vegetable oil cooking spray
- In a shallow bowl, stir together sherry and garlic.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; add to sherry mixture, turn to coat, and let stand for 20 minutes.
- In another shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, cornmeal, paprika, salt, pepper, sage, thyme, and basil.
- Lift chicken from marinade and drain briefly; discard marinade. Turn each chicken piece in crumb mixture to coat.
- Lightly coat a shallow baking pan with cooking spray; arrange chicken pieces in pan.
- Bake in a 450°F (230°C) oven until meat in thickest part is no longer pink, about 15 to 20 minutes; cut to test. Serve hot or cold.
Makes 4 servings.