Oven-Fried Chicken Nuggets
Kids love chicken nuggets and moms will love this healthier oven-fried version.
1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless broiler-fryer chicken breasts
2 cups toasted whole grain round oat cereal, crushed*
1 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 tablespoons light margarine, melted
Honey-Mustard Sauce (recipe follows)
- With kitchen shears, cut chicken breasts into 36 nuggets.
- Cover a 10 1/2 x 15 1/2-inch baking pan with aluminum foil; spray with vegetable cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, mix together crushed cereal, onion salt, pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning. Pour mixture onto waxed paper.
- Roll each chicken nugget in melted margarine and then in oat cereal mixture, turning to coat.
- Arrange nuggets in single layer on prepared baking pan and bake in 325°F (160°C) oven about 25 minutes or until brown.
- Serve with Honey-Mustard Sauce for dipping.
Makes 36 nuggets.
Honey-Mustard Sauce: In small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup prepared mustard, 4 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon mayonnaise.
*Crushed oat cereal in food processor or blender until broken into bits but not powdery.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.