Roasted Lime and Green Chile Chicken
Whole chicken roasted seasoned with the favorite Southwestern flavors of mild green chiles, garlic, onion, lime juice and fresh cilantro.
1 (3 to 3/12-pound) whole chicken
Salt and pepper to taste
2 fresh Anaheim peppers or canned mild green chiles, minced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 green onion, minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed, minced (coriander)
2 large onions, thickly sliced
1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Rinse chicken and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Season chicken with salt and pepper, inside and out.
- Combine chiles, garlic, green onion, lime juice and cilantro in same bowl.
- Loosen skin from chicken breast, thighs and drumsticks with fingers (be careful not to puncture skin). Rub or spoon sauce under skin.
- Make a "bed" with the onions in a roasting pan; add the water. Place chicken on top of onions. Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F (190°C); continue roasting an additional 15 minutes per pound.
Makes 4 servings.